Amazing abandoned mansions
Shandon House is a striking example 19th century Scottish Baronial architecture. Built for William Jamieson in 1849 and set in 31 acres above Gare Loch, the location is now dominated by the Faslane Naval Base.
Chateau de Noisy in Belgium was originally named Chateau Miranda and completed in 1866. Designed by an English architect, the striking property was reportedly occupied by the Nazis during World War Two and became an orphanage in later years before being completely abandoned in 1991.
Sutton Scarsdale Hall may be a shadow of its former self, but its impressive ruins leave no doubt that it was once one of the finest stately homes in northern England. Located in Derbyshire, the abandoned mansion was commissioned in 1724 and owned by the Arkwright family for almost 100 years. The ruin of Sutton Scarsdale is now managed by English Heritage, while some of its treasures have now found their way to the Philadelphia Museum of Art.
Rupera Castle – Built in 1626 by Sir Thomas Morgan, the Grade II listed Rupera Castle in Lower Machen, Wales, has suffered two fires during its time and famously hosted King Charles I for two nights after the Battle of Naseby in 1645. Rebuilt after the first fire in 1785, the abandoned mansion – which was the first “mock castle” in Wales – remained in Morgan hands until around 1935, when the family fortune declined. Used by the British Army during World War Two, Ruperra Castle was again gutted by fire in 1941 and has remained a decaying shell ever since. The building was put up for sale for £1.5 million in 2010.
This abandoned mansion in the Auvergne region of France, with decorative turrets above and to either side of the main door, was once clearly the grand country seat of a prosperous family. While the front door remains open for urban explorers and the outer shell appears to be intact, the central upstairs window appears to reveal a gaping hole in the roof, reflecting the fate of so many grand properties left to the elements.
Tyrone House – One of several impressive abandoned castles in Ireland, Tyrone House has a dark history. Built in 1779, the house was used by the Black and Tans during the Irish War of Independence before being destroyed by the IRA. Situated in a commanding position overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, Tyrone House was originally owned by Christopher St. George and was acquired by the Georgian Society in 1972.