An abandoned 1920s cabaret theatre in Berlin

20140801-020612-7572457.jpg

An abandoned 1920s cabaret theatre in Berlin
This abandoned cabaret theatre was discovered in the central Mitte area of Berlin, Germany. It opened in 1905 as a musical hall and restaurant, named “Fritz Schmidt’s Restaurant and Festival Halls” and soon became an established venue for Berlin’s ballroom society. In 1919 it changed operators and became “Kolibri Festival Halls and Cabarets”. It was the era of the German “Kabarett” and that was when this theatre hall had some of its best days. It all ended at some point after 1934 when the Nazi regime started its crackdown on the cabaret scene.

The cabaret theatre was found inside an abandoned three-storey building surrounded by taller apartment buildings. After tons of rubble were removed from its interior, a 300 square metre (3230 sq feet) ballroom with wall paintings and metre-high stuccoed ceilings was revealed. The kitchen on the ground floor had a special lift to send up food and drinks to the hall on the second floor. LAVA architecture firm undertook the task of restoration of the building in order to be used as a space for performances and exhibitions, studios, meetings and conferences, and luxury apartments for short term and executive rental.

20140801-020645-7605409.jpg

20140801-020645-7605099.jpg

20140801-020645-7605576.jpg

20140801-020645-7605256.jpg

20140801-020645-7605904.jpg

20140801-020646-7606067.jpg

20140801-020646-7606221.jpg

20140801-020646-7606508.jpg

20140801-020646-7606370.jpg

20140801-020645-7605747.jpg

You may also like...